WENDHUSEN - A convent dating back to the Carolingian period, noble manor and living history
The aristocratic canoness abbey in Wendhusen was founded by Gisla, the eldest daughter of Count Hessi, and his wife Gisla, one of Charlemagne's sisters, around 825. The convent was probably founded in accordance with Charlemagne's wishes and joins the wave of foundation and Christianisation by institutions in the 9th century with the help of Saxon noble families.
The convent was last mentioned as such in 1519. The still standing Klosterhof with its sacred buildings was already a fief of the Counts of Regenstein in 1536 and was secularised. The families von Weddelsdorf, von Watzdorf, von Steuben, von Hartwig and von dem Bussche successively owned the "manor" Wendhusen/Thale until 1945.
Of the former convent buildings, parts of the hall church from the early 9th century with a torso of the ladies' convent gallery have been preserved. It is the oldest gallery still in existence.