The ruins of the former Burg Scharzfels are located on a dolomite rock rising about 150 metres above the Odertal.
The castle was originally built around 1000 to protect the monastery of Pöhlde, the transport of ore as well as the long-distance trade routes crossing the Oder. The castle originally belonged to the diocese of Magdeburg, then became a direct property of the Empire in 1131 and in 1158, when Heinrich der Löwen took over, it became part of the Welfenhaus. Initially, territorial rule was exercised by the Counts of Scharzfeld until the beginning of the 13th century. Later, the castle was inhabited by the Count of Hohnstein as feudal lord. In 1593, the Duchy of Grubenhagen took over the castle, which continued to serve as a fortress, official administration and also as a stately state prison. During the Seven Years' War, the castle, which was considered impregnable, was conquered by French troops and destroyed on 30 October 1761 by blowing up all the buildings.
Its ruins are still impressive, with several rooms and corridors carved into the rock and using natural caverns, some of which are still accessible today, and an open staircase leading to the upper castle via three archways. Only the foundations of the once imposing 12 metre high tower and a church on the rock can still be seen. The terrace of the castle restaurant offers a beautiful view of the Harz foreland. The castle is accessible by many hiking trails, including the Karst hiking trail and the BaudenSteig.