The Dom zum Heiligen Kreuz plays an important role in the history of the town of Nordhausen.
It was not until 1927, on the occasion of the 1,000th anniversary of the city, that the cathedral parish obtained another valuable cross reliquary from the later Pope Pius XII. This is displayed in the cathedral in a richly decorated golden cross reliquary, which is a replica of the original. Thanks to extensive renovations, the cathedral, with its extremely interesting architectural history, now shines in renewed splendour. The crypt, which was built around 1130, is the only still complete ensemble from Romanesque times in Nordhausen. Elements from several eras can be seen in the cathedral: the early Gothic choir area with its filigree carved choir stalls, the high Gothic nave with its impressive height of 18 metres, the Baroque high altar from 1726 or the panel painting "Madonna mit der Akelei" (Madonna with the Aqueligia), which was painted around 1420, the most valuable painting in the cathedral. The Dom zum Heiligen Kreuz in the old town of Nordhausen is open daily and offers regular guided tours.