The small town of Kelbra is one of the oldest settlements in the 'Golden Aue' and lies with its districts Sittendorf and Thürungen on the northern slope of the Kyffhäuser Mountains. Even today, many sights bear witness to the town's long history. Worth seeing are, for example, the remains of the Cistercian monastery destroyed in 1525, the Storkauer Hof, which served as a knight's seat in the 12th century, and the newly built and enlarged St. Georgie's Church, a former monastery church with an altarpiece by Ch. Richter, built in 1607.
Due to its proximity to the Kyffhäuser Nature Park, the town of Kelbra is an ideal starting point for hikes and excursions around the Kyffhäuser Mountains and the southern Harz region. A promenade laid out as early as 1880 leads visitors out of the town towards the beautiful mountains.
The button-making and local history museum in Kelbra is anything but "buttoned up". It provides an insight into the history of button-making, from the import of mother-of-pearl shells to the development of machines developed and built here.
A recommended destination for an excursion is the Kyffhäuser Monument, the second largest monument in Germany, with the ruins of the old Kyffhausen Imperial Castle and the Barbarossa Tower.
The 800-metre walk through the subterranean world of the Barbarossa Cave in Rottleben with its impressive plaster formations is also particularly exciting. You can see the crystal-clear lakes of the "Neptungrotte", the unique ceiling lobes hanging in the "Tannery", the "Dance Hall" and much more. In the 'Heimkehle' near Uftrungen, one of the largest gypsum karst caves in Germany, you can walk through 2 km of various tunnels and large rooms in a show cave. There is also a colourful laser show to admire.
The 'Königspfalz Tilleda', a completely excavated and partially reconstructed medieval palace on the scenic route of the Romanesque Road, is a special attraction for visitors. With the Kelbra reservoir, the town has another highlight to offer. The 600-hectare reservoir, with an international campsite and a lido covering more than 10 hectares, offers ideal opportunities for a wide range of water activities. Events are held here regularly during the summer months.